Saturday, June 4, 2005

Um, sorry?

Has it been that long since my last update? Well, here it is. Let us set the “way back” machine a little into the past and I’ll try to bring you up to speed.



My back did recover, as much as it will. Sore for a while but that is nothing new. I have been doing a little ridding, but never as much as I would like to. The first weekend for Robbins’s Crossing has come and gone. We spent a good bit of the weekend recovering from the floods in January. The water by all accounts was about 4.5 feet (that’s 1.37 meters for you metric types) inside the shop. Judi spent a lot of time just cleaning tools, as the water was high enough to get into our toolboxes. There was a “pow wow” that weekend as well. Nothing all that great, but we do like having people around. The trains ran as normal and we got to say hello with some friends we have not seen for a while and meet some new ones as well. It is good to be back in the shop working again. I think it helps recharge my mental batteries a bit. The walls for the shop extension are up and all the shingles are stripped off the existing shop waiting for the new roof to go up. Word is they will start on it some time in July. I’ll not hold my breath.



Spent some time working with Dan “The Fish” on improving with my bullwhip. We have successfully infected others with the enjoyment of playing with them. Remember kids: “Crack kills, but when it is a whip, Crack is fun!” Whip is fun; I need another bigger one. I must have more toys!



Oh, something else. I have now lost all faith in chiropractors. I had one I was going to and I asked him how much longer I had to keep doing the crack and crunch thing for my back. He said “For the rest of your life…” Hrrmm, something fishy here. So, I had him yet again reset the “dislocated rib” I have had so many problems with. He said I could keep having it reset, but I should go see a thoracic surgeon about having it screwed in place or removed. I was not pleased with the idea of the removal of body parts. So, since I do not like doctors for the most part, I held off going to see one. Judi did get me to promise I would go see one so eventually I did. More on that trip to the doctors office in a moment, but a small aside that you will see how it links in with all this.



I like Penn and Teller. Always have. And interestingly enough, they like me or at least my writing. They sent me an autographed picture and even spelled my name right! Anyway, they have a show on the cable network “Showtime” called B.S. Great program, nothing is sacred and they call it like it is. If they make a claim that something is crap or a lie they back it up with evidence and experts. I do not have cable, but I do have seasons 1 and 2 on DVD. Got to love truth as a weapon. So, they did one episode on “Alternative Medicine.” One of the things they covered is chiropractic medicine. My “doctor” did not tell me all the things he should have such as the “adjustments” can cause paralysis, heart attacks and that ever famous side effect: DEATH. Yea, he twists you wrong and blamo, dead. They then went on to show how totally flawed the whole concept really is and that there is little to no science to back it up. It is kind of spooky. I will still say hi to him if I see him, but he will not lay a hand on me ever again. For this, I have an even better reason. Keep reading on from here.



You see it seems that the chiropractor was resetting the rib quite a distance when he popped it back into place. Not surprising considering you could see it when it was popped wrong. But here is the kicker: the problem was not a “subluxation” like they try to say everything from the common cold to Autism is caused by. No, it was a torn muscle and torn ligament in my back near the shoulder blade. My doctor spotted it in seconds. “Oh…”he said, “Here is your problem. It can’t heal at all if you set the rib all they way back in. You have to do it a little at a time over a couple of weeks so it will heal up and stretch.” Seems the chiropractor was setting up a nice little nest egg, perhaps being generous and giving him the benefit of the doubt, unknowingly. So now, I am in a lot less pain and it is healing. I can tell, as it does not hurt as bad as it did nor is distance driving painful. It was before to the point that a 15-mile (equal to 24.14 kilometers) drive would start it throbbing and hurting. I drove on Thursday 120 miles (equal to 193.12 kilometers) and not even a twinge. Things are looking up! Doctor said no fencing for at least a week, but oh well. I would rather heal then deal with this any longer. It is a small price to pay really.



So, if you are going to a chiropractor, be careful. I won’t say stop going, but run everything past your doctor and see what they have to say as well before submitting to the bone crackers ways.



Till next time,

Be mindful and awake.





3 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear that you won't need surgery on your back.

    I have never trusted chiropracters myself, but then, you know how I feel about having my back cracked! I will never forget the first time you hugged me and tried to crack my back, as you had for everyone else who had lined up for it. Near about killed me! (Ooof. Put me down. My back doesn't crack. Just set me down. Thank you.)

    ;-)

    Mine does crack a little now, (not quite so tightly strung as when you first met me--amazing), but I still won't let anyone other than a friend, a massage therapist or a doctor near it.

    And I still won't let them put a needle anywhere near it. Nope. None of that needle in the spine anaesthesia crap. Nope, not me.

    Glad it is healing. I will be thinking about you and sending healing thoughts in your direction....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're mending:-)

    I've never had a bad experience with chiros but then again they get gov. funds here for half their fees, so I guess they're more strictly monitored or something...

    Hope you heal completely, and soon too:-)

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like Chiropractors. Heather sees one, (has since she was rear-ended at a decent rate of speed in Virginia a couple years before we started dating.)

    The whole thing just scares me.

    But, yeah, the first 14 years of my life were spent in and out of the Doctor's office, and I'm pretty sure that my parents' pocketbook contributed significantly to his Ferarri.

    When we'd finally had enough, and I went to an allergist, and discovered that 90% of my problems were allergy related, and that most of the viral problems I had were brought on by a weakened immune system. It seems that my immuse system was busy fighting what it THOUGHT were infections, when they were just allergic reactions. Combine that with the CONSTANT prescription of antibiotics, my immune system was just humped!

    DeTraglia, (the asshole doctor,) was FURIOUS that I'd been to an allergist. Needless to say, I never went back to him, and within a year, I never really had to go BACK to a doctor that often.

    I guess my point, is I don't trust doctors too often, especially if my continued illness means repeated visits. And I ALWAYS try to get a second opinion.

    ReplyDelete