Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Dare I say the word...Mothman!

Yes, I said Mothman. He is a favorite conversational piece amongst our friends. Today though I thought I would add a little something new to the mix. What if there is no Mothman, but instead, MothMEN. Many more than one, perhaps. Seems odd but let me continue.



We all know very well about Point Pleasant WV and the Mothman stories. Odd movie as well. But other than the occasional pan in something like the Weekly World News, we hear little about him. Still, we know from some account he is the harbinger of doom. Sometimes they just make an appearance beforehand, others a flat out warning. Now consider the following: http://english.pravda.ru/fun/2002/05/23/29200.html Yes, I know it is Pravda, but over time I have learned there seems to be a little truth in every lie. And boy does Pravda know about lying!

Okay, hopefully you can see my point. There are reports of similar phenomenon in Russia and the adjoining states. What other Mothmen are out there? What other names are they known by? What is their agenda? I do have to wonder if H.P.Lovecraft saw something of this ilk that inspired him to write all the stories about the Elder Gods. Perhaps they were not just figments of an excellent imagination. Who knows? "Not I" said Briar Rabbit. Still oddness like this does seem to catch my attention now and then. I am not sure why but there it is nonetheless.



Okay, well on to other things I think.

Till next time,

Be mindful and awake



PS Christina:

I am not mad at you, but if you feel guilty you could always send me some nice sweet butter cookies from Denmark :)



PSS Everyone: Look! I added comments to the blog! Feel free to comment away :)

3 comments:

  1. Hey Bryian,

    Guilty? Me? Hm...I'll bring you and Judy nice treats when I come over in January, ok? And i may just send some nice ones home with Adam, too:-)

    I hopwe you are doing good! I am on the case of starting up a SCA group here and people are very interested...

    Have a great day!

    Hugs from Denmark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts Bry, which dovetail along with some of my own on the subject.

    Off the top of my head, I can remember that Mothman-like creatures have been sighted in the following places--Texas, Vietnam (though that one was more of a mothwoman), and Wales. There were not always great tragedies that happened in these places, so while it may or may not be a "warning" to humans, such a creature may be related to places where great emotional turmoil is occuring or is about to occur.

    My theory is that they are beings that feed upon the emotional energy of human beings. Sometimes they are visible to some humans--most of the time they are not visible to anyone. The forms they take may come from the minds of the percipient, or they may be controlled at the whim of the being. The form that they take, however, I believe is impermanent--they are by nature beings of pure energy.

    And, of course, this theory relates not only to mothmen--but to many other fortean sorts of critters--including our good and dear friends, "The Good Folk."

    Of course all of our wonderful theorizing is of little practical use. When it comes to practical words on what to do with the phatasmagorical critters who now and again pop in to say hello to us, I will leave you with the immortal words of our beloved Torquil who once said to me, quite calmly, considering the apparition which was lumbering along through the woods, "Barb, I think it is time to go now."

    Wise words from a man wiser than I, for indeed--I was too busy staring at the lumbering thing trying to theorize exactly what the heck it was to think that perhaps getting the hell away from it was a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huzzah for the mothman... according to the national inquirer he's naders running mate for the next election. Long time no speak, hope you had fun at harvest days. Sorry I've been slack at posting on my lj but, hey, less to have to worry about reading? Finally got some stuff up though. Take a peek and leave a comment!

    Regards Ben

    ReplyDelete