Saturday, March 19, 2005

Does my motorcycle have a Buddha nature?

I think the correct answer is “Thump!” as my bike would say. I like that better then “Mu” in some usages.

After several hours of tinkering yesterday I went out for a ride. Wow, what a difference a few adjustments can make. Nice thump through the countryside with intermittent spurts of speed and curve leans. I know spring is not far off for one simple irrefutable reason: peepers.

While down at the local BMW bike shop (Had to show off the great green curry rocket to an old acquaintance) I notice there was a little swamp at the end of the road. Maybe 50 sickly trees, some marsh grass, and about one half an acre of water. It was quite wee in swamp terms. Remember I grew up in Florida, so swamp to me is much bigger. Swamps so big whole semi-trucks can disappear, never to be heard from again. Where things that are mean enough to try to either mate with you or eat you live. Then there is the wildlife.
Anyway, out of nowhere I heard them start. I know to some it is annoying the sound they make, but to me it is like music. So there I sat for a moment on the green monster, listening to the engine provide a modern bass back beat to them. I still remember the sounds of the bullfrogs at night on the swamp. To me it is as stirring as Mozart at his best. In one of his songs, Thomas Dolby captured it perfectly as the refrain in “I love you, goodbye”. Must be the “Coon-ass” blood in me.

It must be strange to some to hear me go on about something like this. What does it have to do with anything like I usually write?
The answer to that is simple: “Thump!”

Till next time,
Be mindful and awake

1 comment:

  1. Morganna and I, after a hard day of lifting, toting, packing and taping and packing and lifting and that sort of lovely thing, went outside so we could get something good to eat for dinner. (Went to Shangri la--for the best damned potstickers ever in the world, not to mention the chicken with bitter melon and beef with gai lan.)

    Anyway, what to our wondering ears did we hear but PEEPERS! Which we both screamed at the top of our lungs, then went capering about the lawn like a couple of insane yard apes. Even Zak got excited.

    As excited as he gets when starved to death. Which means he went, "Peepers!" in a weird voice, then started the car and drove us to our destination of Chinese Food Gorging.

    Needless to say, one need not just be a swamp-living Coon-Ass to love the peepers. Frogstalkers and Hillbillies love them too. Even skinny Jewish Hobbits like them.

    ReplyDelete