Tuesday, November 9, 2004

Only half evolved

So here I sit typing with one thumb out of commission. You know we joke about having or not having thumbs as the case may be as part of a we are so better than the animals type attitude, which is all fine and dandy. They do not have lawyers, mostly. And you never see protest marches about Evolutionary Profiling or such nonsense, but when you are sans one thumb it does make you think a little bit.



Sans one thumb, you may ask. Yes, a bizarre sword accident. I broke my thumb in a sword fight. How many times have you ever heard /that/ particular comment before? I would exclude SCAdians and Regia people from that question. To us it is as normal as saying I broke my arm on a skateboard. While it may seem odd to some to hear me say I broke my arm on a skateboard, to others they would just say “Oh, too bad…” not even thinking twice about me doing something like that.



So anyway, the past few weeks have mostly been full of the same stuff. Work, more work, and did I mention work? Still it was my parents wedding anniversary. Happily married for 10 years. 10 out of 30, but hey got to start somewhere right? I just thought I would mention to all my readers that today is Judi’s birthday.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEETY!!! So take a sec and zap her off an email or a card.



On the international front, I think Dubbua aught to hold a press conference condemning the actions of France in the Ivory Coast. What, did you not know about that? Okay, here is the short of it: Ivory Coast has some unrest. France sends in Peace Keepers (Read Foreign Legion) without a UN mandate. So the end up getting accidentally bombed and 9 French peacekeepers get killed. Okay, I feel bad for the guys on the ground and their families.



So what does France do? They destroy the entire Air Force of the Ivory Coast! Now granted 5 planes and 8 helicopters are not much of an air force, but still! Then they take up a “defensive position” surrounding the capitol. People are in the streets telling them to go away and punctuating their message with machetes. A reporter I read about was set upon by one of these mobs and they attacked till they found out they were English, not French. When they found out, they all left.

Take a read about it at:

http://www.cnn.com



Of course, there is nothing about it on the front of CNNs site, but they do have the article on

Brittany Spears new "best of" cd. A true “best of” from her would be 3 cds of silence!



Well, guess what! Time for more work…



Till next time, be mindful and awake.

2 comments:

  1. Foreign policy all over seems to be rather fucked right now, doesn't it? Go in there to make peace, then bomb them. Yup, that's sensible. *twitch*

    "Jesus was cool, with the miracles, and the healing, and the forgiving of the stupid people." Unfortunately I'm less forgiving to the stupid people I guess.

    Kavorkian scarves to all the stupid people!

    Who watched too much Neurotically Yours last night? I did!

    ~Karyl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I’m confused about your statement of no UN mandate. As an article in the Times states “That action, (the bombing of the air force) taken with the full support of the UN Security Council” would seem to me that the UN had supported the French. Also the French and UN have had peace-keeping forces in Côte d'Ivoire for quite a while since the last civil war. At present there are about 6,000 U.N. troops in the Ivory cost and 4,000 French. And the French were only replying to a bombing of one of there buildings. Keep in mind there were also American aid workers killed or injured in the attack on the building. So the French retaliated by destroying the Côte d'Ivoire’s air force but not killing anyone because they had people killed and was probably deliberately attacked. Considering that by reports the planes circled overhead three times before attacking. Seems to me kind of hard to argue with the French position for the way they carried out there retaliation. As to weather or not the French should be there, well that could be traced back to their colonial days.

    Adam

    ReplyDelete