Saturday, August 16, 2003

Blackout!!!

Okay, the lights went out. Not here, but for a good many people. Still, considering what could have happened, I am surprised at how overall the people took it. No massive riots or looting. People in NYC even felt safe enough to sleep on the street in front of the train station. I bet they now have a better understanding of the homeless, at least in one way. Bet next time they do not just walk on by, but actually give something to help.



Now we get on to the part I was expecting, the finger pointing. And in the true style of politics, it is everyone elses fault. Canada blames New York, New York blames Canada, and now, get this, they both blame Ohio. Excuse me??? Is the North East power grid so screwed up that an outage in Ohio takes out NYC? Let me sum this up for you faithful readers, No. The problem is not in Ohio. Now, Bryian how can you say that? Simple, look at the power grid maps, they are on cnn.com. A third grader could show you that on the US side, if you lost Ohio, there would still be power. Loose Niagara/Toronto and all hell breaks loose. Leave Ohio out of it. Back off New York, get a grip. Canada, do not make us invade and force you to pronounce about. It is not pronounced A-boot. You are not right, the rest of the English-speaking world says about. Blame the French.



Now Bushy (I hate calling him Dubya) says, Lets upgrade the power grid! Thanks George, did you color in the lines today too? Guess who is going to foot the bill for this Great Endeavor. That is right, you and I. Heaven forbid that one of these Power Company CEOs might take a pay cut or loose his multimillion-dollar bonus. Upgrade? Why is this starting to sound like Micro$oft?



To say I have some harsh views on politics is an understatement. I still believe politics was never meant to be a profession. The founding fathers tried to keep that from happening by putting the power of the vote in the hands of the people, to get rid of career politicians like England had, or hereditary dynasties (Can you say Taft, Kennedy, Bush? I knew you could!) Perhaps a three-generation exclusion would be in order. You cannot hold political office in the United States unless there is three documented generations between the candidate and the last elected official in the same family. Your spouse may not enter into politics, even if you are dead, physically or politically. I would think that aught to hold them for a while. It was suggested once I run for either City Council or for the County Commissioners office. Talk about your underdog candidate! I would be so unpopular with the elected status elite; they might revive lynching just in my case. I know what my first action would be. I also understand the results of it. I would push for an across the board pay cut for the local representatives. Now consider this: it is a smart move money wise. Put that back in the general fund I say. One of the first things most elected groups do when they get in office is vote themselves a pay raise. Not I says Brother Rabbit. Go for the cut and make it /very/ public. Here is where this idea blossoms. If they vote for the pay cut, the people win. If they vote against it, then they are showing their true colors to the people. Then we go from there. Slash and burn. No more emergency measures to buy a truck. Could I be speaking of my local government? No more suspending the rules. No more free reign. Look out, oh lords on high, there is a revolutionary in the masses and he is just waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment